To support and encourage businesses to donate food, legislation provides indemnity for companies that donate safe food to charitable organisations such as SecondBite.
At present, we can only pick up a minimum of 50kg food donations in our vehicles. If you have small, ad hoc donations such as food tins from your pantry, veggies from home gardens and leftovers from school events, we recommend that you contact a community food program in your local area to make a direct donation. To find a list of these programs, please refer to our Food Finder, or alternatively, contact your local council.
SecondBite agrees to collect the food from the donor and offers protection to the donor as long as the following conditions have been met:
Food suitable for collection:
- The food must be safe to eat when it leaves the possession or control of the donor
- The donor gives SecondBite any information required to ensure the ongoing safety of the food
- Care has been taken when handling, storing and packing food
- High Risk Food is stored in clean, covered food-grade containers
- High risk foods such as: meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products and small goods, or foods which contain these ingredients, such as sandwiches, quiches and prepared salads, are kept below 5°C or above 60°C and out of the Temperature Danger Zone
- The food is to be collected by SecondBite in the shortest possible time
- High-risk food left in the Temperature Danger Zone for more than 4 hours has been discarded
- Everyone involved in handling donated food has maintained the highest standard of personal hygiene and cleanliness
- The food container is labelled with the appropriate information required: product name, date prepared, use by date and where possible – ingredients.
- The food will be in an edible state in 48hours time from collection
- 'Use by' dates must have at least 2 days life remaining
- 'Best before' dates must have at least 2 days life remaining for refrigerated items
- 'Best before' dates may only be up to 3 months past for dry goods and providing the food is still fit for consumption
Food that is NOT suitable for collection
- Food past its 'use by' date
- Refrigerated food past its 'best before' date
- Dry goods that are 3 months past the 'best before' date
- Food that is damaged or perished to an extent that affects its reasonable use
- Leaking or unsealed products
- Cracked or broken eggs
- Food with visible mould or contamination
- Refrigerated items not stored and maintained at less than 5°C
- Frozen items not stored and maintained at less than minus 15°C
- Food that has been left in a bain-marie
- Foods that have been served to the public on a buffet and/or unwrapped and exposed
To enquire about donating food please complete the form below and we will get back to you within 48 hours. Or if you would prefer, call us on 1800 263 283.
SecondBite will be in touch within 48 hours. If you have not heard anything within this time, please do not hesitate to contact our office on 1800 263 283.